Ken Foskey wrote:
On Mon, 2003-03-17 at 18:02, Chris Samuel wrote:
>> You're system is not specified in /etc/hosts.allow, by the look
>> of things.
>From memory using hosts.allow is a major security hole and it is
>recommended that you don't use it at all.  My betters will confirm or
>deny.

Why is using hosts.allow / hosts.deny a major security hole and under what
circumstances? I ask because I use them quite alot especially to restrict
ssh connections. Is it just that relying on DNS lookups is flawed? Should I
write IPtables instead to restrict access to SSH and mail etc. ? It is much
more convenient to use hosts.allow .

Joel
http://cow.whyi.org