I've found the best way is use a separate partition for the kernel and
grub (I'd steer clear of lilo if I were you, grub is so much better --
if you've ever used openboot on a sun box, grub is more like this than
lilo). You can then boot from which ever partition you like without
having to worry about which parition is bootable. But I don't run
windows :-)

rgh

--
"It is possible to make things of great complexity out of things
 that are very simple. There is no conservation of simplicity"

Richard Heycock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
key fingerprint : 909D CBFA C669 AC2F A937  AFA4 661B 9D21 EAAB 4291