Thanks to all for the advice but I decided to cut my loses and
re-install. Not to say I'm not a little distressed about this -- it's
the first time I've never been able to recover <sigh>. Best I take a
mondo image :-)

Just to let you know what finally led to my decision:

I posted a message to the reiserfs and got a reply (from Oleg Drokin at
namesys) suggesting that I try reiserfsck --rebuild-sb which I did this
looked promising but I ran reiserfsck --rebuild-tree it aborted saying
that there was no metadata.

I then mkfs'ed the partition and did what I *thought* I did only this
time it didn't destroy my partition. The only thing I can think of here
is that grub did something unusual (unlikely) or I did something else
(most likely).

Given that I don't have a heavily modified system I just thought I'd cut
my loses. I've still got the image of the partition so I might have a
bit of a play at some stage -- I'll post a message if I have any joy.

rgh

--
"It is possible to make things of great complexity out of things
 that are very simple. There is no conservation of simplicity"

Richard Heycock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
key fingerprint : 909D CBFA C669 AC2F A937  AFA4 661B 9D21 EAAB 4291