<quote who="Bill Bennett">

I'd like to try burning audio (and data) CDs under Linux, but I'm a bit
chary about the applications. There are several.

The few people who've volunteered opinions suggest cdparanoia,
although it looks a bit involved.

Has anybody had any experience with cdparanoia?

Yep, it's great software.

unfortunately, it doesn't burn CDs - it rips audio tracks off and converts
them to a .wav

For my money, Xcdroast and gcombust seem to perform equally well... but it
has been quite a while since I did any burning, so I may be wrong

Both programs merely act as front ends to the admirable (but hideously
complex) cdrecord and mkisofs - if you're brave, you could just use those
tools directly.

Regards,

Bill Bennett.