On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:23:29PM +1000, Bill Bennett wrote:
> Many thanks to the people who replied to my posting.
>
> It was prompted by my getting cdparanoia and cdrecord to produce
> a disc. (Never mind the sarcasm, it was a major miracle. My next
> project is to raise the dead.)
>
> cdparanoia's propaganda says that it will "fix" small problems on
> a disk. All well and good. But having ripped an audio track,
> fixed or not, it has to be burned, ie., what with "translation"
> to .wav, software to send this file to the burner and the burning
> process itself, there is room for error(s). We do not live in the
> best of all possible worlds.
>
> Hence my enquiry. In my case, ripper and burner are not the same
> instrument, although even if they were, the argument remains
> unchanged. There are also these thoughts: even if errors *are*
> shown to exist, they may not amount to much, human hearing being
> what it is and if they *do* amount, I may not be able to do much
> about them.

Here's a strategy:

I think the CD standard is meant to be fault tolerant - a story I've
heard is you should be able to drill a 5mm hole in a CD and not notice the
difference in quality.

So if CDparanoia can't read a small part of your CD for some reason,
it will make up something in the gap (e.g. blank space).

Clean your CDs before you rip them.

If you do find differences or the copied CD is noticably worse or are just curious:
get CD paranoia to rip 5,10, or 100 copies (depending on how much you care and how
much time you have) and see if they are all the same.

something like this:

for i in (*.wav); do
for j in (*.wav); do
cmp $i $j;
done;
done;

will output any differences. My script does every comparison twice,
but it is very simple.

Do this to the original and the source.  Try multiple CD-ROM drives
if you can.

If you get say 10 copies, 6 are the same as each other and the
other 4 are all different to each other, the burn one of the
6 good copies. (and delete the other 9 copies)

cheers,
Woody

> I will, however, post what results I get.

I will be interested in this too!

cheers,
--
Woody