On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 11:55:59AM +1000, Terry Collins wrote:
> Think "sick building syndrome". Basically, new office/office works and
> factories produce lots of "fumes" that can deposit on nice new shiny
> pins and provide an insulating layer of gunk that causes intermittent
> problem.

This reminds me of a story (urban legend?) that I heard from around
here at UNSW.

Someone else probably has the full story (pchubb?), but the gist of it
is that there were a lot of single bit errors on one of the old
machines that seemed to appear for no reason.  All manner of part
swapping was done without success.

UNSW is in close proximity to Sydney airport, and after a lot of head
scratching it turned out that this was being caused by the air traffic
control radar sweeping past the machine and inducing errors ... so
kind of a sick building syndrome.

The moral of the story is to always check for high intensity radar in
the surrounding area when diagnosing problems ;)

-i