Quite a few cards support dual (matrox does a triple) head on card,
I have a GeForce4 MX 440 which has tv out which I have configured
as a second monitor.

You can get say a LeadTek GeForce4 4200 MyVivo for about $230 which has
t monitor outputs (DVI and VGA) and TV in and out.

With the nvidia binary drivers you can specify just about any configuration
you could think of (clone, zoom, adjacent) You can even run 2 X servers
on the one card which would let two people use the computer
independantly if you had enough keyboards and mice I guess.
It can treats the two screens as one X display, so you don't need Xinerama.

It's very nice to use when you have two monitors.  Even good TVs start to look
blurry at about 800x600.

cheers,
Woody