Not sure if this is relevant but I followed this path and decided that I would use procmail for the maildir and mail filtering bit not postfix.

I think this was because I wanted to slip an anti-virus scanner in betwixt the two. Procmail will give you a few nice added benefits (filtering mail into folders on the server for one) and definately works with postfix and maildirs.

HTH

Stuart Guthrie
Eureka IT

Kevin Saenz wrote:

Have a look at the original Maildir privilages you will see each mail dirs have

-rw-rw---- uid mail uid

dunno if I am looking in the right area.

I'm trying to configure Postfix for Maildir,

(Maildir is the wau to go, no ?)

I've edited /etc/postfix/main.cf

..
home_mailbox = Maildir/
..

no other dirs were specified

I then sent an email to 'voytek@(thishost)

that worked OK, and, Postfix created a dir structure below
# ls -l /home/voytek/Maildir
drwx------    2 voytek   voytek       4096 Aug 18 23:08 cur
drwx------    2 voytek   voytek       4096 Aug 18 23:23 new
drwx------    2 voytek   voytek       4096 Aug 18 23:23 tmp

I then tried to reply to the email, to see if Postfix will create Maildir for 'root' as well, like it did for 'voytek', BUT, I'm getting a bounce:

---
MAILER-DAEMON@ (Mail Delivery System) wrote ..
This is the Postfix program at host

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>: maildir delivery failed: create
   /var/spool/postfix/Maildir/tmp/1061212376.3171_0.(thishost):
    Permission denied

----
# ls -l /var/spool/

drwxr-xr-x 17 root root 4096 Jul 29 05:52 postfix

- am I supposed to alter permissions on /var/spool/postfix/ ?
or, have I got something misconfigured ?

to summarize:

after editing Postfix to support Maildir format, sending mail to user
'voytek' DID create /home/voytek/Maildir tree, but, replying to user 'root'
generates an error

Voytek Eymont