Its been about 2 months since my last attempt so I thought I might try to get a net connection happening on my Linux box again. This time with a *real* modem that I know works and on Mandrake 9.1 ... dah!

Everything goes fine under kppp until "logging into network" and then I get a pppd timeout error:

Aug 25 19:12:57 localhost pppd[3708]: pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
Aug 25 19:13:26 localhost pppd[3708]: Terminating on signal 15.
Aug 25 19:13:27 localhost pppd[3708]: Exit.

Same as I was getting before, what goes? So according to man pppd signal 15 has something to do with 'peer not responding to echo requests' or similar. Is this a problem with my ISP (bigpond) or something at my end?

I can dial in manually under kppp terminal an log in with my details but then after 20secs or so I get disconnected. I am getting really fustrated, I just want to ditch M$ alltogether but I need a net connection.

Can someone *please* help?

Brad