Quoting <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

<snip>
> Any comments?

I'm running yellowdog linux on my ibook which I got a couple of months ago. Getting
the
graphics card working with the version of X in debian at the moment (xfree4.2)
requires some
work, whereas with yellowdog it was a put the cd in, click a couple of times and
you're up and
running kind of thing. I still plan on getting debian running (reasons below), but I
might wait
for xfree 4.3 to make it's way into sarge.

Yellowdog is fine (it's basically just redhat rebadged for PPC). It's full of pointy
clicky
goodness, it supports all the hardware out of the box (I think the tv out might not
work,
never tried it though), it has quite a lot of up to date software distributed with it,
it looks
pretty polished. The installation was flawless, the only thing I had to do was switch
on
acceleration for the video card (which again was clicking a box, very easy). Has
apt-rpm, mac-
on-linux, lot's of groovy stuff. Basically it's like all the commerical linux
offerings now, very
polished and pretty easy to install.

The only iritation I've had with YDL is getting packages. apt-rpm is fine, but if the
packages
don't exist then it's not that useful (not that this has happened a lot, the majority
of things
are available). I've actually had to install a couple of things from source again
which after
using debian for awhile is really annoying :) Not YDL's problem though really, just
smaller user
base, and people like me complaining rather than packaging software.

Cheers...Steve.