David Fisher wrote:
Would some kind person please try pinging the addresses 202.12.88.42 or 202.12.88.106 and let me know the results, please?

I need to test the ICMP block on my router from external ping traffic.

Great, another path MTU discovery black hole, another undiagnosable network.

Fellas, how about using rate limiting.  Linux has marvellous
QoS features, enough to allow a few ICMP ECHOs for fault
diagnosis but to deny a ping flood.

> Note that its probably not a good idea to block ICMP source quench
> packets.

Nah, block those suckers. Source Quench is deprecated.

The list is

  Block
    Obsolete
      Source Quench
      Information Request/Reply
      Datagram Conversion
    Shouldn't cross network boundary
      Address Mask Request/Reply
      Redirect
      Domain Name
      Router Advertisment/Selection
  Required for operation (rate limit these to, say, 10% of bandwidth)
    Destination Unreachable
    Time Exceeded
    Security Failure
    Parameter Problem
  Required for diagnosis (rate limit these to, say, 1% of bandwidth)
    Echo Request/Reply
    Timestamp Request/Reply

Regards,
Glen

--
 Glen Turner         Tel: (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
 Network Engineer          Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]