Hi All

This is a desperate plea . . . I have tried Google, comp.security.ssh news group, as well as man pages, debug output, logging and seeing what the dolphins have to say about it......anyway to the problem...

I regularly log (ssh) into various machines/networks I maintain with PuTTY. All has worked really well (for months) up until a yesterday. Remote machines are all Linux - RedHat 7.2, 7.3 and 9.0. What happens is the session negotiation seems to go ok but then when it comes time to display the password prompt on the Putty terminal nothing comes up. I suspect something to do with the encryption negotiation (which is I think the last thing to be done before password is required). The following points apply:
- I use SSH2, with, in order of preference, AES, Blowfish or 3DES encryption (have tried all 3 to no avail)
- using SSH1 usually works but not reliably (eg typing rubbish - eg ',c' will "hang" the terminal)
- I can ssh to the remote machines from my own local LINUX RedHat 9 machine - not a single problem.
- I can SSH into my local linux machine with Putty. My local linux is RH9.0 running OpenSSH 3.5p1-6.
- The other remote linux machines are running RH7.2/7.3 with OpenSSH 2.9p2-7, 3.1p1-3 or 3.1p1-8
- The output of the putt log for the failed connection is:

=~= PuTTY log 2003.08.28 14:01:02 =~=
Event Log: Writing new session log (SSH packets mode) to file: putty.log
Event Log: Looking up host "dayang.dnsalias.com"
Event Log: Connecting to 203.51.0.93 port 22
Event Log: Server version: SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.1p1
Event Log: We believe remote version has SSH2 RSA padding bug
Event Log: We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY-Release-0.53b
Event Log: Using SSH protocol version 2
Incoming packet type 20 / 0x14 (SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT)
Outgoing packet type 20 / 0x14 (SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT)
Event Log: Doing Diffie-Hellman group exchange
Outgoing packet type 30 / 0x1e (SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST)
Incoming packet type 31 / 0x1f (SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP)
Event Log: Doing Diffie-Hellman key exchange
Outgoing packet type 32 / 0x20 (SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT)
Incoming packet type 33 / 0x21 (SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REPLY)
Event Log: Host key fingerprint is:
Event Log: ssh-rsa 1024 8e:d5:14:83:cc:e4:53:43:58:e9:79:ca:fe:8f:95:bd
Outgoing packet type 21 / 0x15 (SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS)
Incoming packet type 21 / 0x15 (SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS)
Event Log: Initialised zlib (RFC1950) compression
Event Log: Initialised zlib (RFC1950) decompression
Event Log: Initialised AES-256 client->server encryption
Event Log: Initialised AES-256 server->client encryption
Outgoing packet type 5 / 0x05 (SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST)
=~= PuTTY log 2003.08.28 14:01:02 =~=

- The debug output of one of the remote machine openssh server basically agrees with the putty log. The last 3 lines of debug output are something like:
Outgoing packet SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
Incoming packet SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
KEX

and that's it.

I initially thought it was something on the Windo$e but why would Putty keep working with my local machine and not the others. Hence, I'm tending towards the OpenSSH server's need upgrading. But if that's the case, why would the problem have just surfaced now? I'd like to be 100% sure that upgrading is going to fix the problem....

Any thoughts whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. Please, no comments as to why on earth am I using a Windo$e box at all??? I ask myself the same sometimes but at the moment I need to...trust me I've looked at it from all angles, but hopefully soon circumstances will allow the total expulsion of M$.

TIA
Fil