Dude, you've hosed your system.

At this point you can either:

 restore from backups (*ahem*)

 try to undo whatever you did (iirc you moved /usr and /lib somewhere
 else)

 try to duplicate exactly what Debian had put in those directories by
 hand (almost impossible)

 or save what data you can and reinstall.

The choice is yours, but I know what I would have done by now.

At Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:52:32 +1200, Adam Bogacki wrote:
> In sum, I'm starting to contemplate reinstalling Debian, something I
> am prepared to go to lengths to avoid because I would lose a lot of
> hard-won material, because I'm living with an 80 yr old who is only
> starting to get over her computer-phobia, and because I also have
> other things to do.

Where/what is this "hard-won material"?

Just copy your important data off somewhere temporarily (maybe just
another partition) and reinstall.

The alternative is going to be *weeks* of hand hacking stuff.  If
you'd simply reinstalled you'd be done by now.

--
 - Gus