On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 10:08:45AM +1100, Alex Sutcliffe wrote:
> I am trying to compile and run a c/c++ program on my woody box. It
> compiles fine but when I run it, it dies with a floating point error.
> Admittedly there are several compiler warnings.

One odditiy of i386 is that an integer divide by zero will actually
die with SIGFPE [1] and your shell with kill it and say something like
"floating point error".  If you have any warnings about divide by zero
look straight at them.

I doubt MIPS does this, and I'd bet it works on an IA64 machine if you
have one around ...

-i
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au

[1] See 3-189 of Volume 2 of the IA-32 Architecture Software
Developer's Manual and correlate the divide by zero exception with
where the trap handler is setup in arch/i386/kernel/traps.c