FYI. I've just created a new project GPL at source forge.

www.sf.net/projects/republic

It's aim is to help organisations locked-in to proprietary software
(mainly those CRM/ERP types) to extract data from their computer reports
and out into the open world of OASIS standard spreadsheets (ie
OpenOffice). This project has been sponsored to some degree by a
Progress-4GL user to help them extract data from MFG-Pro reports.

Interesting bits in writing it were (for the developers amongst you):

- XSL for translating my XML to Open Office was p*ss easy although I'm
currently stuck on date fields, I've got currency and string fields
translated. The tricky bit was re-zipping until SUN helped with an
example.

- There is room for a generic 'report xml' format that can be a middle
ground to OpenOffice, PDF, HTML, text, CSV, PS, etc. This may be out
there as I'm sure & hope someone will point out, I just haven't found it
yet.

I'm thinking of breaking the command line stuff into two distinct phases
to make it more useful to other projects:

1) Parse to report.xml.
2) Translate report.xml to OpenOffice.

This enables more easy translation to other formats with application of
different XSL.

These are random ramblings which may be applicable to a few of you in
middle-to-corporate size organisations. It's the sort of application
that really appeals to accountants and middle-management ie spreadsheet
lovers.

Ten rabbit stamps if you can work out why it's called 'republic'...

ATB

Stu