Hi David,

Had fun with these suckers and autofs myself. Basically you have to cd to the dir for autofs to check and mount the key. The way I solved that was to mount somewhere else and then do a symlink at the location you actually want to "use" it from. That way you can ls the symlink and autofs will then automount and ls will complete it's due course.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Perry, David wrote:
I'm trying to automatically mount a usbkey on Redhat 9 when it is plugged in and then unmount it after it stops being accessed.  I wish it to be available to all users not just root.  This recipe came from www.systemsaligned.com/learn/howto/hwtusbkey In theory the usbkey is suppossed to mount as soon as it is accessed and unmount one second afer the access ceases.

I created a directory /mnt/removable

a file /etc/auto.removable which contains
usbkey -fstype=vfat,umask=000 :/dev/sda

a file /etc/auto.master which contains
/mnt/removable /etc/auto.removable --timeout=1

restarted autofs

This is not mounting the usbkey when I try #ls /mnt/removable

The key works perfectly when I manually mount it with #mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable

Any advice?  The instructions say to use sda not sda1 in the auto.removable file and I have tried sda1 with no success.

Thanks in advance
David