Thanks to BenDL, here's my a variation on problem solved I think:

cat scripts/divxmake.sh
# script starts
mencoder $1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1 -oac copy -o
$1.divx.avi
mencoder $1 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2 -oac copy -o
$1.divx.avi
# script ends.

Does a 2 pass encode to divx format, adapted from here:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-mpeg4.html

Thanks Ben

Stu