While nothing instantly pops out, a few suggestions :

Try using $_REQUEST as it checks $_GET, $_POST and $_COOKIE
Also - since you can't write output to the browser due to the PDF being created - how 'bout a debug file on the server?
Open it for writing and output the entire set of arrays to the file and check from your favourite text editor.

HTH,
Paul

Howard Lowndes wrote:

I have a PHP generated web page which has a submission form.  When the
form gets submitted the action is $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] and the method is
POST and one of the form elements is an INPUT with TYPE=SUBMIT and
NAME=somename and VALUE=somevalue.

My problem is that on the odd occasion (when it happens then it is quite
consistent but it hasn't happened for a few months now, suddenly it has
started again), the PHP script does not deliver a $_POST array and hence
when I go to check the status of $_POST['somename'] I get a failure when
I should get a success.

The really odd thing is that when I try to debug it using phpinfo() or
even a print or echo statement, just before the status check by getting
the script to print out the value of either the entire array or
$_POST['somename'] then it prints the detail fine and the status check
succeeds, but if I print it after the status check then there is no
$_POST array at all.

Unfortunately I can't even use a dummy print statement to fool it
because the successful processing needs to generate a PDF output and
that must have no prior output.

Bloody odd.