Benno,

I think the bug is a communications issue rather than a technical one, unless I am missing something here. This is is a hypothetical example:

Dumbo (that's me) sees an application on the internet he wants to try. He clicks 'download'. Easy. A little window says 'Download in progress'. A pause . A little window says 'Download complete'. A little sign pops up saying 'Install? Yes, No'.
Dumbod clicks 'Yes'. A brief pause then a friendly little window says, 'Install complete'. Dumbo then happily clicks on the new Icon or application name and, hooray!!, it runs.
Dumbo is not even aware that there is another way of making things happen via typing in text in a window he has never seen. That is there for the technically competent. But Dumbo will recommend Linux to a friend because it is easy to use and so much easier on the pocket than the Microsoft one.

That is the communication issue. I have no idea of the technicalities of being able to make that happen in the various distros. I suppose it may be anything from really simple to bloody difficult. I take your point about no one Linux community. So my suggestion should be addressed to those who really want Linux to be acessible to 'everyone'. I am sure hundreds (thousands?) of other people have made similar suggestions.

John.