One other thing : it's precisely 98 seconds between the connection to the mail server and when it sends the email.

This sounds like an ident timeout issue, but the sendmail config file has ident.timeout = 0 already which is supposed to turn off ident.

Cheers,
Paul

Paul Robinson wrote:

Hi Dave,

I get this :

Aliases:

real 0m0.010s user 0m0.004s sys 0m0.005s

hopefully not a failing disk as it's pretty new. Everything else on the server runs lightning fast - just sendmail that takes its sweet time.

Paul

David Kempe wrote:

Paul Robinson wrote:

Anyone had any experience with this sort of problem? I've searched through the slug archives and google and checked the suggestions there (/etc/host entries and dns settings) to no avail.

have you checked the response time/quality from your dns servers?
use: #time host -t mx testmaildomain.com mydnsserver

It sounds very much like a DNS problem, or even a failing disk... but I use postfix, so I don't know much more about sendmail...

dave