On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:24:53AM +1000, QuantumG wrote:
> Shaun Butler wrote:
>

> >You could also try http://helixcommunity.org/. The open source version
> >of helix Server will play REAL streaming protocols, but if you wanted
> >to stream quicktime and Windows Media, you have to buy the commercial
> >version :(.
>

> I find it so scary that these companies which dual license have the
> boldness to require contributors to assign their copyright to them.
[...]
> better job of that than I ever could).  But assigning your copyright to
> RealNetworks for the specific purpose so that they can dual license it,
> is just unpaid labor.  When you contribute to Helix you're not
> contributing to a community project, you're contributing to
> RealNetworks' bottom line.

So fork the codebase and produce a version that doesn't require copyright
assignment to Real.  They can only compel copyright assignment for
contributions that you want to put into their version.  (Assuming an actual
Free licence exists for the Helix codebase, of course).

- Matt

--
"[the average computer user] has been served so poorly that he expects his
system to crash all the time, and we witness a massive worldwide