I sent an email to Lee and here is his response

"Kevin, you're 100% right. I was new to Linux at the time, and I
didn't have much of a clue what I was doing. I'm fairly sure I'd have
far less trouble now."

So I have advised him update his page so that unsuspecting readers
don't get confused, and misguided as to the state of Mythtv.

Slanderous my foot.