Howard Lowndes wrote:
I am trying to get a wifi signal working between two BV houses about 20
m apart separated by a colourbond fence.

I can get it to work but the signal is weak - typically less than 20%
and drop outs are frequent.

Am I asking too much of wifi?

You will find that the low frequency quality is due to deflection from the iron in between the houses.

First get direct line of site. If this fails or dosn't improve. try this
to get optimal frequency from wiFi,go out and buy 2 pringle cans and stick your antennas in the bases.(first eat the pringles) ;)
Then point them at each other and Bob's your uncle.
You have just made a bidirectional wireless frequency channel, this Rig has been known to do more than 5 kilometres on WiFi.
You can also use old CD's in the similar manner ,which resembles that of satellite dishes.
By the way you can only achieve the above if you have an external Ariel jack on your wireless cards.

enjoy :)

--

Best Regards

Mohammad Kaan

ABD Computer Installations
where you get A Better Deal

ph: 0408 867 967
http://home.abdcomputers.net

Regarding tough new Spam laws that have taken effect in Apr 2004.
ABD Computer Installations hereby declares that this E-mail &
our E-mail system is completely free from Spam, Viruses and Spybots.
We request recipients to place us in their white list of friendly E-mailers.
-This privilege was achieved because we use Linux.