* Angus Lees ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> If you add \useencoding[T1] to your preamble, you'll end up using some
> different font files that may bypass the problem.

Thanks Gus, the encoding maybe influenced by me installing the ucs
package, although it's hard to see how if I don't call it specifically.
'll check out the effect of adding the encoding command when I clock in
tomorrow.

> Either way, I'd start filing a bug with your distro provider.

Soon... the setup at home works fine. The machine at work is sort of
a loose parallel with the one at home, but things can get our of sync when
you're busy..

They're both debian unstable.

> To test TeX's understanding of a font, you should be able to run "tex
> testfont" and give the answer "putr7t" or something when asked which
> font to test.  At the "*" prompt type "\sample\bye" and you'll get a
> dvi which shows the full font table (and a sample piece of text).  If
> this.  In OT1 encoding (the LaTeX default) table, I believe the "fi"
> ligature appears in position 014.

Interesting. putr7t as you suggest, shows the `fi' ligature. putb8r
has f-theta in the same cell. More to find out here.

Nick