what is your config file like? are you caching sites? how much disk space do you have? is your system swapping heaps?
We have one squid server with 1Ghz CPU, 1 Gb RAM and 2 TB of disk space looking after 2800 ppl

Hey SLUG,

We are experiencing a strange problem with Squid. We start Squid and it
runs fine at first. Then after a period of time it gets into a state
where when downloading a file after just before it reaches the 1 mb mark
the download pauses as if it has timed out. Once Squid is in this state
it can be reliably reproduced. I have sometimes found the downloads
resume after a period of waiting, say 10-15 minutes, but are then
corrupted. Once in this state it can be restarted and the problem
sometimes re-appears and sometimes goes away.

We are using Squid 2.5.9-6

Joel