At Fri, 27 May 2005 13:04:21 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> What's the most sensible and reliable way to record a phone conversation,
> assuming a standard phone, using Free Software (and probably a bit of
> hardware)?

You can get phone audio into a computer by using one of those old
voice-modems with the right AT commands (often not full-duplex, but
that isn't a problem here), or a telephony card with an FXO port.
Whether something like asterisk will make the software side easier or
not, I'll leave as an exercise for the reader -- but even using
asterisk for this step wouldn't require anyone to use VoIP, assuming
you had a PSTN double-adaptor thingy at your end.

--
 - Gus