Very helpful. Thanks Pia.

John.

Pia Waugh wrote:

Hi John,

<quote who="John Gibbons">

Is there such a thing as a simple server setup to handle a simple static website that a beginner can install and run from home??

The most simple setup I've seen is the Red Hat stuff, from their add/remove
programs you can select to install a web server, which is actually just all
the apps required, but as others indicated if you install Apache, it should
just work (make sure the apache daemon is running :) and then you can modify
the index.html page which will be wherever your particular installer put it.
If you still have trouble, repost with your Linux distro details.

Otherwise, I'd recommend a few other approaches, because even with an easy
installer learning how to make websites quickly isn't easy with a lot of
these tools, even if they are easy to install. I'd recommend looking at a
Content Managemenst System (CMS), like Mambo (mamboserver.org) which will
give you a web interface to modifying your website, without having to learn
how to tweak a bunch of applications individually. If you want something up
very quickly, speak to Geoffrey Robertson who hosts all the tools for you at
something like $100 a year, so you have a website, with all the tools and
administration done for you, and you simply modify it through an easy to use
web interface. Contact him on [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yes I'm plugging Geoffrey :) He hosts a website for a non-profit I'm
involved in (not Linux Australia ;P ) and it was so easy to organise through
him, it is a pretty useful service.

Cheers,
Pia