On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 21:36 +1000, David Kempe wrote:
> Richard Heycock wrote:
> > I'm trying to set cfengine to copy a file from one host to itself and I
> > keep getting the error " Server returned error:  Host authentication
> > failed. Did you forget the domain name". Which it seems is due to me not
> > having reverse mapping on my DNS server.
> >

> it seems the short answer is no.
> google says:
> http://cfwiki.org/cfwiki/index.php/Cfengine_Protocol

The thing is I've already copied the public keys over. From "Reverse DNS
Lookup":

        ... If the server already has the public key of the client, then
        it is not necessary to do the reverse DNS lookup, since the
        validity of the client's identification will be revealed during
        the challenge-response section of the authentication protocol.

The server public is in ppkeys on the client and the client public key
is on the server. They won't even come anywhere close to talking to each
other if there not.

In addition to this I've set up the reverse mappings in my dns server
and it still doesn't work. There seems to be nothing I can do to make it
work.

Thanks for the site, though, it looks pretty good. I think it's time to
get on the cfengine mailing list.

rgh

--
"Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the
curious attractiveness of others" -- Oscar Wilde

Richard Heycock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
key fingerprint : 909D CBFA C669 AC2F A937 AFA4 661B 9D21 EAAB 4291