On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 08:40:59AM +1000, Simon wrote:
> I want to change from one DHCP server to another. The current one does
> not give me enough control and is integrated into an e-smith server
> (argghhhh, that was a bad idea! - another story). I can easily set one
> up on one of my Linux servers, but how do I avoid IP conflicts as the
> new server won't know about existing leases, or will those lease be
> re-negotiated by the new server automatically?

Both DHCP servers probably have some sort of file showing which leases
are currently active; dhcpd, for example, uses dhcpd.leases (under
/var/lib/dhcp3 in Debian, for example).

Here's an example entry from a server I had running:

lease 172.20.0.150 {
  starts 5 2005/07/15 00:22:06;
  ends 5 2005/07/15 00:22:06;
  tstp 5 2005/07/15 00:22:06;
  binding state active;
  next binding state free;
  hardware ethernet 52:54:00:12:34:56;
  client-hostname "splatter";
}

You could write a script to parse the file from the old server and
convert it into whatever format the new server uses. Switch off the old
server, run the script, copy the new leases file across to the new
server and then start it up.

I don't know an awful lot about e-smith, but there's probably a good
chance it uses ISC dhcpd anyway.

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse                                | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584