On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 01:34, Steven Tucker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Sudo rocks, Ubuntu rocks! Root does exist, if you
> want the traditional method of using root, just
> activate
> root by doing
>
>  sudo passwd root
>
> when you create a password then you can log in as
> root, if you then disable sudo, you are back to the
> traditional set up! I quite like the way Ubuntu has
> used sudo, but if you dont like it, it takes seconds
> to change!

I think that's what I did on my system. I was unaware that Ubuntu is reliant
upon sudo instead of su, and I thought that my root password was set to be
the same as my user password. To change it, I used 'sudo passwd root', which
of course removed the sudo functionality and reverted my system to a more
traditional su setup.

Is the sudo-type setup employed by Ubuntu the same as that used in Mac OS X?
Also, are there any security implications of this? Doesn't it mean that in a
default setup, any local user can gain root access? Please correct me if I'm
wrong.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan  [Yama | http://www.pclinuxonline.com/]
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://dhanapalan.webhop.net/yama.asc

FYI, XP doesn't stand for "eXPerience". It's just an emoticon.