QuantumG wrote:

> Ok, I'll bite.  WTF.  If you have something worthwhile to say, geeks
> will listen to you.  We don't need this motivational speaking crap.  Or
> is this about making presentations to the mindless masses?

In this case you're a perfect example of where better communication would help.
 You're asking a question about the need for this talk, but you'd normally hit
my "not worth responding to" filter.

The focus of this talk is about conference, user group and other similar
presentations.  Most of us have been to presentations which cover very
interesting topics but do so in such a way that it's a struggle to stay awake
and pay attention.  It's very easy to create a bad presentation and it's even
easier to take a reasonable presentation and present it poorly.  Jiggling the
mouse pointer over the slide detracts from your message as we are instinctively
drawn to watch movement.  Shaking coins or keys in your pocket is annoying.
Speaking in a monotone or just repeating the words on your slides is a great way
to bore people.

When you're presenting to a group, you want them to stay awake, pay attention
and hopefully retain some of the information you give them.  This talk isn't
motivational speaking crap - it won't tell you how to motivate people, or even
cover the tips I've suggested above.  There are too many better resources for
that kind of thing.  It isn't about making presentations to the masses either,
these tips should help with both technical and non-technical talks.

It's about making *your* presentation stand out in the minds of your audience as
the best that was presented.  It's about keeping your audience awake and
interested (even if you don't have much to say).  It's about making your
audience remember at least some of the content of your talk.  And above all that
it's entertainment.

If you're unlikely to ever present at a conference, user group or work meeting
then the content of this talk isn't aimed at you.  Hopefully you'll still find
the talk amusing.

All the best,

        Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |