On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:08:52PM +1000, Raphael Kraus wrote:
> We're trying to set-up a host with software RAID (mirroring) and LVM at
> work (for a backup server).
>
> Just trying to install Debian with RAID partitions is proving painful.
>
> Anyone done this before? Any recommendations, tips, suggested methods?
>
> I'm thinking I should install to one drive putting a plain boot
> partition and then a LVM on it, leaving the second alone. Once install
> is complete create the RAID with the second drive marked as failed. (I
> can remember doing this a while back, but I think RAID has changed on
> Linux now.)

Eh?  You just create a RAID partition, and then lay LVM on the md device.[1]
The kernel/initrd just works it all out and you've got /dev/mapper/vg-lv to
play with once the system's booted.  You can even put your root partition on
it (although you do need to have a non-LVM /boot partition, but that's easy
enough to manage with a separate little partition at the front of the disk).

The partitioner in d-i is da bomb for this sort of thing; it supports all
these sorts of shenanigans right out of the box (although unfortunately not
in an automatable fashion yet).

- Matt

[1] Doing it the other way around (RAID on top of LVs) makes no sense; you'd
have to have duplicate VGs on both disks, make duplicate LVs on each
physical disk and then tell the RAID code to mirror each one.