I don't know if it is an exchange replacement. I think it's just a collaboration tool. like MS web outlook access.
I have down loaded the source. I will have a look shortly.

www.zimbra.com

It looks like an excellent open source web-based outlook AND exchange
replacement. Proports to do group scheduling, has a beautiful looking
web-based ajax interface with drag and drop support.  Licensing is
modified MPL, they are following a RedHat subscription-like business
model.

They have incorporated lucene for fast indexing of emails as well as
postfix and a bunch of other open source technologies.

I will probably see if I can replace mine and my clients squirrelmail with
it as it _looks waaay better.

The flash demo is about 12 minutes long on a fast DSL and worth a look
just to see what some of the capabilities of AJAX.

There are also a couple of pdfs worth a read. Particularly the AjaxTK
(ajax toolkit) and the Architecture document.

HTH Someone.

Stu