On 10/26/05, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 October 2005 10:00, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > I'm told that one of the big pros of the X server/client is that the
> > > server and the client can be on separate machines ( I guess like a
> > > remote desktop). How can I use my windows machine to run applications on
> > > the linux machine. Currently I'm just using a "vnc" setup.
> > >

> > > Phill
> >
> > Short answer: install cygwin on your windows machine, making sure to
> > install whatever X server is included with it.
> [snip]
>
> I don't believe that this is the answer. Cygwin allows the windows machine to
> have a unix-api and for it to run unix programs. It does not do what cxoffice
> does for linux machines.

It doesn't do what cxoffice does, but it does what the original poster asked -
i.e. to be able to login remotely to a linux machine from Windows and run
a graphics interface on the Linux which displays its windows on the
Windows machine.

In case you are not up to date with it (which I suspect from your definition of
Gygwin as a simple "unix-api") then it also includes a full port of the core
XFree86 to Windows.

Cheers,

--Amos