Henry,

xmms doesn't usually set the volume. Nor is the volume set in a config file - its essentially a state in the driver.

Just use a tool like aumix (or amixer for alsa) to change volume levels:

aumix -v50,0
play_sound
aumix -v0,50
play_sound

The -w option is also handy, depending on your sound setup (changing PCM
as opposed to master volume).

Cheers,

 - Simon