There are 'issues' with VMWare 5's bridge module and the kernel that ships with Breezy.

Apparently, the latest any-any patch will fix it.

See here for details: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-77040.html

You could also try building your images elsewhere, and runnning them up in VMWare Player.

Cheers,

Matt

P.S. I'm running 5.5 RC2 on Breezy, works great.

James Gray wrote:

Hi All,

The company who puts their logo on my pay cheque requires me to use VMware (as of today) to do some funky product demos. No big deal. However, during the configuration of the 3 VM's I need to run (simultaneously) I found a curious little "bug".

If I configure a bridging network adapter, in VMware, to either of my laptop's interfaces then bring that interface up, the kernel panics and it's all over. Host networks are fine. Haven't tried NAT'ed networks but we'll see about that when I'm online again.

Seems there's something the kernel doesn't "like" about the bridging VMware network kernel module. I'm running Kubuntu (Breezy) with 2.6.12-9-686. The VMware modules are being compiled with Breezy's GCC-3.4 compiler (which works fine with the ATi binary driver's kernel module).

Anyone else seen this before and if so, did you fix it? Google and VMware's website turns up nadda.

Cheers,

James