1) Turning on your tape drive should create the dev entries

Nope didn't do it. The tape drive is a scsi device and the hotplug or whatever
that this udev is supposed to be designed to work with obviously doesn't see it / detect it. Not surprising really I don't ever recall that a scsi device would
send a signal on the scsi cable when it was turned on.

2) Make your backups just a tiny bit cleverer eg RFMd on bash and test

Good idea, but annoying that it should need to be necessary and completely out
of my control should I decide to install a backup software package such as
veritas.

also lsmod and modprobe are your friends

Can't see any modules that pertain to tapes. Only the scsi driver and I'm not
about to rmmod insmod that.

Thanks for the ideas

P.