hp laserjet 1320n works perfectly as a network printer with postscript, at about $1,000 There were cheaper options but this was a robust durable option without hang off plastic trays to break. When I was looking a Samsung was advertised as supported for linux, drivers included. It was a less convienient shape and more plasticy at about $350 at Harris technology.
Ken

Angela Lindstad wrote:
dear slug
I am a convinced linux user (on principle, not because I know anything
about computers) I am retired and really appreciate not to get all the
bugs around that other operating systems get.
Now my HP officejet 635 printer has given up after 8 years and I need a
new one.
'does this one support linux ?' never gets an unambiguous answer. The HP
and Epson customer support people - not helpful. The shops usually have
models that dont feature on the linux compatible list.
Is there someone out there that can help ??
angela