On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 10:46 +1000, James Gray wrote:
> Add "user" to the "sudo" group on "host" and you wont be prompted for the
> user's password anymore (at least that's how it works on Ubuntu and RHEL).

yeah, I was scared of doing that for the reason of giving blanket root
sudo powers.

> Alternatively, login and run the commands interactively (but given you're
> running commands directly from ssh, I'm assuming this is actually a script?).

yep, trying to script it :-)

> If you go with the sudo group idea, you may want to setup a special user
> ("updater" or something) that can only run specific commands like "apt-get"
> with sudo and even then, restrict the options that can be passed as well.

Good idea, that sounds like the way to go but I expect that means
setting up an SSH key with the specific command so that the "updater"
user can login via SSH and do only that one thing.  I want SSH logins
restricted to a specified list via "AllowUsers" after a recent
experience.

Thanks.

--
Simon Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>