<snip>
Take DammSmallLinux and try to make a development system and (real) soon
apt-get gives fatal errors and again 'the bell tower'

Isn't that more about the distro/packaging quality/dependencies etc.?
(I don't know anything about DamnSmallLinux so this is not intended as
a criticism of it)

A counter example I could offer would be: take ubuntu hoary, progress
through breezy to dapper beta without ever having having to re-install
from a cd and without really experiencing any packaging issues. Apt is
just a (very nifty) tool, the joy comes from the distro having good
practices around the way they organise their packages, dependencies
etc. IMHO.

Cheers.....Steve