Michael Fox wrote:

My guess is your dvico is having issues with its driver/kernel
version, and possibly antenna problems (since both units have HDTV
issues).

Maybe trying a different digital tuner from a friend might be
worthwhile, to confirm it too has similar issues to your Tivo box.

OK, I'll test my MythTV box by taking it to my previous residence in Middlecove. It's atop the hill and I have line of sight to at least 2 TV towers from there. I can see
these two towers rain or shine from my backyard.

I now live in a Valley although my antennae here is sufficiently high.

I was able to get lirc to work on the older version before. Now it's 3
versions
newer and my remote does not work. I'll get to it later.

I was going to buy a Windows MCE remote, but I might not just do that
yet. I will try what I found in regards to the Twinhan ones using the
lirc modules for usb /dev/input support. See if it works any good.

Does Twinham has hardware decoders like Hauppage 350 ?  I'll get myself
Avermedia  DVB-T but if Twinham has, maybe I'll try it first. Avermedia
cost around $140.

I honestly dont know, but for $65 AU who can complain. It has to be
the cheapest tuner around. Infact I did pay $90 odd for my original
ones, but since found a source for $65 AU each.

The advantage of having hardware encoding in the card is it will allow
TV recieving even when one has only a 500MHZ PC. I am running my
card on a 800MHZ Compaq PC with 512MB memory (I bought second
hand PC for $80 and memory for $75). I'm using on-board Intel video
chip.

I was running 2 of these in an Amd Athlon XP 2800+ system. And when
using the correct nvidia display drivers for xorg 4 it could actually
handle hdtv playback.

I am going to purchase another tuner today, as I sold mine to a mate
since they wanted one. Besides I knew I could get another a few days
later when I needed too.

Mythtv certainly still has some appeal to it. Especially over the
topfield pvr my wife constantly uses. Who knows if I can ever swing
her over, but atleast I know I can make use of it myself. I might as
well as I have my old system mentioned above and selling it would not
get me a price I would be comfortable with, so I might as well
continue to use it for something.

Totally agree. Flexibility is one main appeal and MythTV is
being actively developed and maintained. It's user base is constantly
increasing and that's something that says about its appeal. It's clearly
the leader in it's market spectrum.

Thanks again.

O Plameras