On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 01:39:14PM +1000, O Plameras wrote:
> markt wrote:
> >There are many issues regarding Ruby to be discussed.
> >Has Rails done real good things to the progression of the language or more
> >for the techniques of new-language promotion?
>
> Can one or several sluggers tell us the big picture of ruby-on-rails
> instead of just saying it is the hottest topic in WEB-development ?

It's an MVC-based domain-specific language which makes building a certain
(rather common) class of web applications quite simple, fast, and
maintainable.

> What is ruby ?

It's a programming language.

> What is rails ?

See above.

> Why do people talk about both together instead of ruby or rails only.

Since Rails is written in Ruby, it'd be pretty damn hard to talk about Rails
for long without it.  Conversely, Rails is quickly becoming a very popular
system, so a lot of people are identifying the language primarily with the
framework.

> Do I still need python, smalltalk, and perl  when  ruby-on-rails make these
> tools seem like Monte Carlo equations in web development ?

You don't *need* anything.  You may, however, choose to reduce your reliance
on one or more of those technologies as a result of your use of Ruby and/or
Rails.

> Why do I need YET-ANOTHER-DEVELOPMENT-FRAMEWORK
> when there are dozens already ?

Because this one does things differently, and may suit your needs better.

> Thanks for your efforts ?

In what way, exactly, it that a question?

- Matt