My Debian boxes have always been smooth upgrading, never a problem,
and my gentoo ones as well. Gentoo won't change the configuration
straight away (you update and then run etc-update to go through the
config changes) As long as you don't hit -5 as the option for etc
update you'll be in for a smooth update.

I think the point is that with debian and gentoo you get a rolling
update (updates to apps as they come, not all at once), so any
problems you might have with a package are dealt with then, and you
don't get any compounding problems because of it (generally, not
always)

On 13 Jun, luke wrote:
>  AFAIK, no Linux distro is considered quite safe to upgrade from one
>  release to the next (e.g. from SuSE 9.2 to SuSE 10.0, or FC 4 to FC 5).

I turned up this discussion about this very topic:

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/12/14/152237

in which numerous respondents say that Debian and Gentoo and Mandrake
(and Arch Linux) can all have the distro itself upgraded.

So, a question for the Debian, Gentoo etc. users: have any of you have
had a problem when you tried to get the system to upgrade itself from an
older release (e.g. Debian 3.0 to 3.1)?  Or does it always work
perfectly smoothly?

luke

Menno Schaaf aka ginji
irc.austnet.org #gentoo #linux-help