Howard Lowndes wrote:

> Would anyone like to share their views on any of these solutions, or on
> greylisting itself.

We implemented grey listing about 2 years ago.  As I get most of our contact@
mail and since that address is all over the web, you can probably guess what a
difference this made.  I went from about 300 SPAMs every day (mostly caught by
Spam assassin and my mail reader) to around 20.

At the beginning, the grey listing was a bit of a pest; some mailers *don't*
resend, even for legitimate mail.  For example, someone I knew had a dodo.net.au
email address.  I consistently didn't get her emails, and didn't white-list her
because she didn't tell me of the problem. She's since set up her own mail
server, so that solves that.

This is a problem for businesses though.  I can't say whether we've lost
bookings or business due to people trying to send us email and us not receiving
it.  I can hope that such people would call us, but they may not.  If most of
your new contacts are made from people emailing you; then grey listing could
lose you some of those people.

On the other hand, I can say that grey listing has saved me hours of looking
over my spam folder, to fish out the occasional false-positive.  I've been able
to use this information to write more courses, do more advertising and even
relax a little more.

Of course, once we got our SPAM down I got subscribed to a mailing list which I
had to be on, and which acted as an open relay... but that was another story.
Fortunately it's fixed now.  :(

        Jacinta

--
   ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._          |  Jacinta Richardson         |
    `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)  |  Perl Training Australia    |