http://tinyurl.com/ljkta has all your answers

On 8/16/06, David Herd < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi
I'm a computing student who is having troubles with part of my assignment.
Can I have any help out there in Linux land.

Question 1. (16 marks)

Write UNIX commands to

a) show the lines of the online manual page for sort that contain the word
order.

b) show how many characters the date command outputs.

c) copy all C source files (the filenames end in .c) from the present
working
   directory into a subdirectory called Cfiles.

d) list all files in the present working directory that have filenames
   that match:
                                 starts with either t or T
                                 the extension is a single digit

e) compress all the files in the directory Docs/ and store them in an
  archive called Docs.tar

f) sort the file /etc/passwd in reverse alphabetical order by username.

g) append all the lines of m1 that contain "name" to m2

h) Mail the present working directory contents to the current user
   with subject Directory.

Question 2. (4 marks)

m1, m2 and m3 are text files.
What do the follow commands do under bash?
Answer in English.

a) cat 1> m1

b) cat 0< m1 | sort 1> m2 2> m3

Question 3. (4 marks)

m1, m2 and m3 are text files.
What do the following commands do under tcsh?
Answer in English.

a) ls -l | grep admin |tee m1 | lpr -Pp1

b) zcat m.z | head -20

thanks
David

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself - Zhasper, 2004