Hi Martin,
> While in some respect, I share your sentiments (in wanting to get
> people to think about the move to IPv6) I still think you are way too
> early. I have been doing network designs and consulting for a the
> very biggest corporate and government bodies for the last 18 years or
> so. I have been watching IPv6 as it began its gestation about 10-12
> years ago. But guess what - I see almost *no* interest from even the
> largest of end-user enterprises. Only large software (read Microsoft)
> and networking companies (read Cisco) have made any sort of effort to
> promote. While it is built into the core of most current OSes and the
> higher-end network equipment - that really is about it.

I did a quick Google in an attempt to find the benefits that IPv6 has
over IPv4. There does not seem to be a killer app for IPv6. The thing
that impressed me is the ability for a IPv6 node to be mobile and maybe
with the prevalence of wireless ISPs IPv6 will become a reality. I also
read that IPv6 is more efficient to route, so what does that mean in
percentage terms? Do you think it will be a good idea to start IPv6
networks from the ground up, instead of starting with IPv4 and
upgrading to IPv6?

> It only will really become meaningful when it becomes the default
> option from the major ISPs and carriers for the carriage of IP
> traffic. And even then I would suspect that for the most part,
> end-users will be able to choose to be shielded from the intricacies
> of IPv6.

End-users for the most part use domain names so this wouldn't change.

> Even in the briefest look around, you will realise how far away
> real-world adoption really is. Most configuration dialogues and web
> forms today still try to parse/display an "IP address" as a dotted
> quad (eg 1.2.3.4). That is, they ignore the IPv6 format of IP
> addresses. The other simple matter is that I would wager that if you
> took 10 experienced (10+ years) network engineers and ask them about
> IPv6 and what it is about and have they even played with it, 9 of
> them would probably have told you about the huge new size of the
> address space, but the need for it has been pretty well removed with
> private IP address space (10.x.x.x etc) and NAT, and no they haven't
> played with it. IMHO it really still is only of real interest to
> propeller heads (myself included).

From what I read, IPv6 has been rethought and re-engineered so that it
just works a lot better.

> On the other hand I do believe it will come into play at some stage
> (because as Vint Cerf once said - every light buld will need an IP
> address in the future) but my current hunch is that it might be at
> least 5 years before any credible moves need to be made (by us end
> users).

Maybe ubiquitous wireless mesh networks might do the trick...

> I'm happy to be contradicted.

I'm not really contradicting, just wanted some peoples thoughts on the
matter, because I have been ignorant.

Regards
Joseph