On 10/24/06, Phill O'Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have installed an exttra NIC on my fedora server so I can apply some QOS.

On the fedora machine as far as I can tell each nic  (eth0 & eth1) has their own ip address (10.1.1.30 & 10.1.1.31) and are pointing to different devices ( comparing mac addresses).

Howevver it appears that all other devices on the network seem to get confused as the ip addresses from remote devices seem to point to the one network card

What To Do!!!

Your machine is no doubt quite confused, because it has two routes into it's local network: it won't know which interface it should be forwarding packets out of.

What's probably happening here is that the ARP responses saying "I'm 10.1.1.31" are leaving out the 10.1.1.30 card - in fact, everything is probably leaving via that card, regardless of its address.

Run tcpdump to confirm this..

You may be able to do something fancy with iptables rules and/or iproute2 and policy routing to make this work, but I think you'd be better off taking out the second card and making the second address just an alias on the first card.

You mentioned you're trying to achieve some kind of QOS - could you tell us more about the original problem that you're trying to solve?

Regards
Phill O'Flynn

There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself - Zhasper, 2004