On 12/28/06, Howard Lowndes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Penedo wrote:
> On 28/12/06, Howard Lowndes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Voytek Eymont wrote:
>> > if I decide to do a source install for some of the applications, am I
>> > likely to cause myself grief later on....?
>>
>> It's possible that the source installs will need later version libraries
>> than those that are part of the RPM based install; this will probably
>> cause grief.
>

> Haven't tried this myself (being a Debian person) but how feasible would it
> be for Voytek to try to create RPM's for the versions he's interested in?

I don't think creating an RPM is going to achieve anything as he'd still
need to identify the dependencies and handle them correctly.

He needs to identify the dependencies in order to properly compile the
product anyway. If he creates an RPM and lists them properly in the
RPM, the RPM system will protect him from breaking his system
inadvertently while doing future upgrades.

That, to me, sounds like a lot is being achieved....

--
There is nothing more worthy of contempt than a man who quotes himself
- Zhasper, 2004