Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
In Xorg.0.log I find:

    (II) LoadModule: "GLcore"
    (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
    dlopen: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so: undefined symbol:
__glXLastContext
    (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so
    (II) UnloadModule: "GLcore"

which according this this :

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/35555

is benign (although I should remove "GLcore" from the Modules section of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf).

I also have this which may or may not mean anything:

    (WW) fglrx(0): Specified desktop setup not supported: 8

I searched the Ubuntu forums (damn I hate web based forums) but everything
there seemed to be at least a year old and highly unlikely to be relevant
to Dapper.

I've been keeping out of this one so far, because my ubuntu machine with an ATI card in it is nowhere near an internet connection. But it's worth checking your default colour depth, as well as the fglrx docs to see what it supports. I'm fairly sure 16 bit doesn't work, and 32 might have problems as well. I generally use 24 bit colour.

--
Pete