I got a nice $12 30cm wok that gives me 15dB+ (I confirmed this by
measuring signal strength without and without wok). I used a
$28 "Shintaro" branded USB device which uses the rt73 chipset supported
by the rt2x00 driver. Apparently the driver supports master mode (but I
couldn't get it to work). Debian testing and unstable versions of the
driver works alright on my NSLU2 device, but not a hundred percent
stable. Gentoo uses the CVS version at the time you install the driver,
and some days it works some days it doesn't, other times it doesn't.
Ralink have their own GPL'd version of the driver, but I haven't tested
because you need to patch wpa_supplicant to use the Ralink version of
the driver.

I found using the Windows driver on the CD worked perfectly with
ndiswrapper v1.32 (including measuring signal strength). I haven't
tried it with Debian testing or unstable versions of ndiswrapper.

Funny thing is that my acer laptop has a "Signal Up" technology that
gives the in-built wifi heaps better signal reception than the best I
could get out of my wokfi (by about 5dB).